This wasn't actually the image I had chosen for my choice image, however it was still a good image to use for this week. This is from my video on 11/01/12.
I think this was a very good choice of image for the Group B BWC. Since our unit was "Tall Tales" the image of the giant fit perfectly in with the unit. Since I am primarily working with 7 and 8 year old boys it fits perfectly into the interest of big, strong, "weapons" power, etc. Since they are also stage 1 or 2 viewers it allows them many different points of entry regardless of which stage they are located in. It also fits their needs since they can use very descriptive words and other language that can help increase their writing.
I think it challenged the boys just right actually. Since the giant had the color of the clouds the boys weren't able to tell what the giant was holding (sword, baseball bat, club) or sometimes even what it was (giant, caveman, vampire, etc.It actually caused a lot of discussion and they really didn't touch on the kids in the foreground that much. I think if they had kept going they would have dove more deeply there and made even more connections. I was a bit surprised with the vampire comment at the time honestly. However once I thought about it for awhile I determined that the cloud color must have reminded him of the "pasty" color we use to describe vampires. I would use this image for a similar group of boys just because it worked so well. The boys weren't really repeating answers really and were still going strong when I started taking the last question and one of them you could easily hear wanted to say something. I don't think I would the same length of possibly extended conversation every time but I do think it could easily go 10 to 15 minutes every time.

Alex, what a rich image, totally going to use this with my kids! I as well as your boys am interested in the cloud like quality of the giant-I can only image some of the fun ideas, like vampire. Would you use this image for younger students, say K or 1st- just curious on your thoughts. Great choice!
ReplyDelete