Wednesday

Chapter 3 and 4 "What Works?"

Chapter 3

Mindwork: Discover What You Know

From Leslie Dickenson's presentation today about her journey following the three student teachers it got me to ask myself some questions.
As someone who is coming from, what I believe, to be a similar background in undergraduate coursework, I was wondering how did they personally identify themselves?
 I know personally I see myself currently as an artist who is trying to grow into the roll of artist-educator. How did they view themselves?
  • Artist-Educator?
  • Educator-Artist?
  • Both?
  • Something else?
Dos the way we view ourselves change our approach to teaching?
Are the perceived strengths and weakness between them either from a personal view or from others?
Does the view change from experience?
How do people who started from the beginning in art education view themselves?

Mindwork: Try a Google-ography

Using Google Scholar I entered in the phrase "Art Educator or Educator Artist". Not many relevant results popped up regardless of mixing words or even rewording. However a article in Art Education in 1981called "The Identity Crisis of the Art Educator: Artist? Teacher? Both?" showed me that this question hasn't been thought of before. At this time I still can not find another article or more information other then what I stated. Rewording the phrase more or different terms entirely might be needed.

Mindwork: Shape Your Working Bibliography

Other then the one I found

Huddleston, Anderson C. "The Identity Crisis of the Art Educator: Artist? Teacher? Both?" Art Education 34.4 (1981): 45-46. Print.
not much other information was able to be found. I might need to do what I stated in the above section like rewording the question. Or perhaps I could ask others within the profession and ask them questions to find out more.

 Chapter 4

Mindwork: Explore Emic and the Etic

Emic: Currently I'm not an "educator" never the less that only changes a few things in my opinions. I've been in a school as long as I can remember, literally. When your mom has been an early childhood certified educator for 28 years in the same district, not including her time as an assistant, that tends to happen. She was also the first and only in her immediate family to get any college education. My parents weren't the parents who said "You're going to college!" instead it was more of a "You will continue your education to some extent after high school". Also unlike some of my friends my parents weren't overly worried if I got A's compared to B's they just wanted me to try my best by giving it my all and learning as much as I could. Like my trip to Douglas High School today with Steve Barrett in my 7040 class, my school district was and still is a Title 1 school. The newest movement is within a few years every student will have a laptop. Currently each teacher in the elementary level has a new Macbook Air and 4 Ipads for their classroom. Rather its because I have this view because its rubbed off from my mom or its truly my own I don't think its a bad thing, because it is becoming a larger part of their world. However I do worry about kind becoming overly connected and not being able to stay away from it. Therefore I believe some type of balance is needed.

Etic: When I step back I notice how some teachers prepared us for college or even real world situations. Those teachers prepared us to think in a more critical aspect, however others just seemed more intent on how we did on the assigned work. The teachers who also taught me to think more critically I realize were more actively involved with all of their students. The best way to give a fair opinion would be to ask people what is going on in the school currently.

Mindwork: Use the Three Questions for Analysis

What surprises you: In someways that it is even a question that it should matter on what our personal view on how we view ourselves, as either Artist Teacher or Teacher Artist, if both give effective results.

What intrigues you: Are we really all that different when we view ourselves as just a little different then the other? Are there strengths and weakness with each view? What can we learn from the other to become better in all areas?

What disturbs me: That the issue could possibly be splitting the community and causing conflict that just hurts the kids education

Mindwork: State Your Ethics

During the research, participants will be given a consent form to be included in the study. Everyone will be treated with the highest respect regardless of feelings or opinions. I will give the option to remain anonymous and respect the wish if that option is desired. Everyone will be a volunteer. No harm of any sort will come from the study. All work is done independently.

No comments:

Post a Comment