Tuesday

Chapter 1: "What Works?"

Chapter 1 exercises:
Though not technically an educator (who says we are not always trying to share our knowledge with others) yet, I do feel there are somethings that I can talk about that caught my eye throughout the chapter.

  1. What bothers me: 
          Well there are actually a few and I haven't even started teaching a class!
  • Will I be able to get students to understand that their artwork can be not only relevant and appreciated on a local level but a state, national, and even world wide scale?
  • Will I be able to get my students prepared that even though there work might not get into some show that doesn't mean its not good, it just means it wasn't the right piece for that show?
  • Will I be able to get them to push through the creative slumps that will come every once in awhile even when there own needs to get through are completely different then my own? 
  • Will I be able to destroy the prejudiced that currently exist between the traditional arts (drawing and painting) and the modern ones (photography and graphic design)?
    2.   Ideas about teaching strategies:
          I think there are many strategies that could be done. Just with photography as an example it
          could be taken so it is more
  •  traditional like doing regular darkroom black and white photography.
  •  Or you could switch it to be completely new and teaching them purely digital.
  •  Or my personal favorite idea is to mix them by finding a way to incorporate new technology with old processes and letting the student find the best process to express themselves.
        However I still have to ask myself are there ideas and strategies I don't know and where can I learn
        them?

    3.   How will I handle the situation when I possibly start teaching students that might come from a 
          different background then me?

         I understand that I face the possibility of not teaching in a rural school and wonder how I will
         show that even though we come from different backgrounds. The situations we all face are the
         same and that art at the very least is a common ground not just shared by us but by everyone.

   4.   Problem Solving
        
         Short-term problem- Had trouble registering for classes. 
                                           Solution= sent a few emails and made a few calls.

         Long-term problem- Got stuck in a creative rut of doing the same old artist things
                                           Solution= read old books and articles on process that were new to me
                                                            and wouldn't cause me permanent physical harm
  5.   Homework:
        My goal is to start slowly since I'm starting a graduate program and all. Its probably the best to
       do my best with balancing it, work, learning new things in the art field, social, and family life.
       However the goal is to slowly add things once I get comfortable with the current amount of 
        "Homework"

  6.  Writing:
       Writing is something that doesn't come natural to me. However I continually try to improve
       myself and keep working on getting better. I realize that primary I have written for people of the
       Art/Art History field and I'm starting to realize education writing isn't horribly different. 
       However I do wonder does it always have to be in writing? With the growth of digital media
       how much can be shared by video or other means?

No comments:

Post a Comment