Sunday

Why Teach Art?

For me art has always been about self expression. It is the primary way I express myself creatively, while also giving me the option as a healthy release. Regardless of the age, I feel like this is something that I will always be able to do at a fundamental level.

As stated, the desire to help others self express is one of my primary drives. When someone is able to express themselves in their artwork, multiple things can occur. First, artwork can sometimes be the only way to initially "say" something. There will be times where students, just like myself, will be dealing with difficult issues that art might be the starting point they need. Issues could range from Death/Loss, sexuality, identity, acceptance, and many more. Second, when self expression is put into ones work the overall quality of the piece improves. When someone invests that extra part into their work, naturally, they care about it more. They want it to be perfect so if can relay their message perfectly to others, so it can be easily understood what they are trying to say.

Another aspect to build on has been my observations on the BWC.  These boys who are struggling writers are gradually improving these skill with the help of art.  The fact that art can have this effect on students not just cause they enjoy it, but because they can actually improve language skills through VTS and art making it only makes the case that much stronger for myself.

Building off that, VTS also can help us art educators address aspects of the common core curriculum. When I sat down a couple of weeks ago and read different sections of the common core, I kept thinking every time I read a bullet "this screams VTS". This builds on from the language skills and showed me that VTS is actually able to build on just about every area of the common core.

Art as a whole also helps students develop critical thinking skills they will use for the rest of their lives. Students are asked to think of answers on all types of tests, to find multiple ways to approach an issue, they have to figure things out of the fly, they have to make choices on life decisions, and etc. Though art will not be able to provide answers to most of the questions, it does allow students to discover and refine their critical thinking skills.

These are just a few reason why I wanna teach art. We are needed not just by our schools, but also our communities. Art isn't something that is only for those who attend art institutions or are natural prodigies. Its useful for everyone and on, more then likely, more then one level. Art has always been an important subject. From cave paintings to now should show why it is and always will be important.

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy to see you connecting this class to what you are learning in your VTS class. You can use some of those experiences in your field observations as well. I am happy that you have read some of the common core standards and you see how they can be met in the art classroom. You wrote:"Another aspect to build on has been my observations on the BWC. These boys who are struggling writers are gradually improving these skill with the help of art. The fact that art can have this effect on students not just cause they enjoy it, but because they can actually improve language skills through VTS and art making it only makes the case that much stronger for myself.

    Building off that, VTS also can help us art educators address aspects of the common core curriculum. When I sat down a couple of weeks ago and read different sections of the common core, I kept thinking every time I read a bullet "this screams VTS". This builds on from the language skills and showed me that VTS is actually able to build on just about every area of the common core.

    ReplyDelete