After reading A new Culture of Learning I felt I really
needed to write out the two different sides that were processing all of this.
The Art Educator and the Gamer were both chiming in and it quite interesting. I
did play World of Warcarft, or WoW as it’s normally called, primarily through
the expansions Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm
Fun Reference Chart how players called the game:
World of Warcraft (the original release)= Vanilla
The Burning Crusade= TBC
Wrath of the Lich King= WoTLK
Cataclysm= Cata
Mist of Pandera= MoP
Its might also be a fun place to note that gamer writing lingo
can easily be seen from game to game with just unique game words only appearing
in certain games.
Anyways the gamer that lurkers with feels the need to give
some very brief history on raids and to show that the game has not always been
the way the author depicts, on the contrary the level of it required to
actually compete some of these raids was even harder.
When WoW started there were 25 man raids, but they weren’t the
top end game raids. These belonged to raids that took 40 players… yes 40.
However it was impossible to actually beat these 40 man raids even if what the
author says about breaking through was (and kinda is) true. You had to beat the
25 man tier 1 raids multiple times before you could access the tier 2 raids and
repeat the process all the way to tier 3. Where the book talks about raids is
around the start of TBC and it got considerably easier. The reason was more
people wanted to be able to access the end game content. The problem had mostly
a few real issues
1.
Most guilds were only able to actually take on
some of the final raids before TBC and only 2-5 guilds in the entire world were
able to beat the final few raids.
2.
Getting enough people to complete some of the
lower raids could be hard enough because limited amounts of random gear would
drop and there was not enough for even a majority or participates.
3.
Getting people who could always preform at maximum
tanking/healing/damage per second (dps) was never easy
4.
The mechanics of the game were just kinda dumb
If a warrior had 1 point to few in spirit (at the time did health regen and
was/shouldn’t have been important to warriors) there was a possibility that the
1 extra health every so many minutes might cause the raid to fail.
5.
The bosses were just insanely hard. On at least
two occasions bosses were actually found to be impossible to beat by humans and
had to be patched so they could.
Blizzard ended up hearing the majorities cry and made more
and more players easily access end game content. Boss difficulty and access in
(TBC), More access and the 10 man raid in WoTLK, and etc.
One the sense of breaking through on a boss battles it wasn’t
always never spoken on what went right. Every play had and in game meter that
could record DPS, Damage taken, and Amount Healed. Sometimes it was obvious if
a certain character wasn’t doing enough damaged based on their DPS and what percentage
each of their spells were contributing to that DPS. Others it was a matter of positioning
and the getting a few lucky breaks from the random factor not hitting certain
players (like a healer). Then it did get easier, because of gear, but also
because it did feel do able and losing to that boss again did become
frustrating.
It should also be interesting to note that almost every
player knows how each class is played but they only master one or two. Even
classes that are considered more noobish are respected when a player who could
play their class extremely well and weren’t just played due to ease.
As I finish typing this up I realize that I am not really completely
sure if I fully answered some of what the book talked about and what I wanted
to mention because I got so into my brain that hadn’t been opened in a long
while.
At the very least I think there could be something said that
the Gamer in me wasn’t really surprised by anything that I read. However the
art educator in me appreciated a certain amount of enlightenment to it all.
As I leave I wanted to give any readers a fun little list of
some MMORPG boss battles. One of the three WoW ones on here are famous outside of the game to nonWow players
and neither are the ones that were unbeatable. However I think there is
something to be said about the difficult of bosses number #3 and #1
Alex, thank you for your own personal recaps on this subject. I've never myself been a gamer and missed out on the entire WOW experience at a personal level and instead experienced it as an outsider living with a gamer. I have a modest understanding of the complexities of gaming, frustrations, and successes...what I'm wondering now is how can we take what we know about all the benefits of gaming and practically/efficiently bring it into the art room?
ReplyDeleteI feel l that I have a good understanding of gaming and the benefits it provides...but we cannot ignore that there are also occasional draw backs. For example, the time. Raiding and gaming in any serious sense takes a significant amount of time and younger persons who struggle with time management can become lost within the world of the game and disconnected from the rest of their surroundings for entire days at a time. In serious cases, which I have also observed, people can become so disconnected that they loose touch with anyone outside of their computer room. YIKES!
Point being, how can we use the knowledge of the pros of gaming to better our art room while clearly defining balance with life tasks?
I love how into this stuff you are. You will make connections to your students that a non Gamer like me will never be able to achieve. And that what teaching meaning through art is all about. Making connections.
ReplyDelete