Thursday

VTS Week 1

          My VTS teaching experience this semester will be done with the members of the Ridgeway Elementary Boys Writers Club.  At this time I don't yet know what age group I will be doing VTS with, however I do know how they are separated into groups.  Group A is K-1, Group B is 2-3, and Group C is 4-5. I also do not yet know the size of each group though it can range from eight to sixteen boys. The classroom I am also unable to describe cause I haven't had the opportunity to see it yet.  The boys previous art making experiences is also unknown, however I feel it is safe to assume that they have been exposed to art since they have started kindergarten. It should be noted that some of the boys will be returning members to the BWC so they will have possibly had more exposure then others.
          The BWC is a group of boys who have been determined, through various testing, to be struggling writers.  Studies have shown that drawing and other art making activities serves as vessels for boys to create narratives before they actually begin the writing process.  VTS serves as another opportunity for the boys to develop narratives before they actually begin writing.
        My assumptions are that the boys will do well with discussions and will only become better as they have more exposure to VTS. I also assume that over time the boys will become more comfortable with writing and even have more in depth narratives. I also have the benefit of having a lot of support while learning and becoming better at the process of VTS, as well as possibly having boys who have been previously exposed to it.

2 comments:

  1. I think you will have a great time working with these boys and watching them grow! Each boy has his own quirks, of course, by they are so enthusiastic and excited to be part of the BWC.One would not know by looking that this club was for boys who were reluctant and struggling writers! (Two 1st graders actually asked me if they could be in the BWC this year!) One of the most amazing things is that these boys don't seem to argue or fight with one another. In fact, last year when one boy was reticent to share his writing, the group began to chant his name and clap. When he just couldn't muster the courage, a classmate offered to read his writing to the group.That's the kind of group they are. They are delightful kids and if you haven't thought that elementary art is where you'd like to teach in the future, this group might just make you reconsider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex! I bet you will have a fantastic time with the BWC this semester! Not to mention, I am quite jealous that you get to spend time with students who already love VTS, instead of starting from new with a group of timid high school artists. I think that as a first time VTS-er part of my anxiety stems from the fact that i want these students to learn to love art and I want them to realize why VTS is important... it helps us develop skills that will help us be better 21st century learners, by being able to decode and "read" visual imagery by looking and talking about post-modern artwork. I am so excited for you, you will have a blast!!

    ReplyDelete